Friday, December 17, 2010

KCL: Keep Chugging a-Long

Update one from the $55 MiniFTOPS single draw: down to 3227 (80% of my starting stack). A pretty barren first hour of play. I haven't been involved in many big pots, an exception being the last hand before the break when I was dealt 98432, action was three-way, and I ended up folding to a pot-sized bet post-draw. So far I've only showed down one winning hand.

Update two: and it's all over. Out in 359th. Played fine (in my opinion), but couldn't catch a goddamn thing. Survived my first all-in when I was down to 1000 - folded around to the small blind, he limped, I shoved my JT985, he called and drew two and my hand held up. The second time I had 1400-odd, blinds were 80-160, EP player raised to 800 (he always raised to 5 BB), I pushed all in with a J98 and the player to my left (who had 4000-odd) pushed too. I was pretty sure I was dead but drew to my 9-8 anyway; I hit a queen but it didn't matter - he had a pat 9-7. Maybe I could have waited but when you're down to eight or nine big blinds you can't mess around.

The best hand I made was 87652 early on; I had plenty of monster draws that could have doubled me up if I'd hit them, but I never did. There were so many calling stations that bluffing when I paired up was almost an impossible task.

A tournament with a buy-in of that size could have done with being a little deeper. I think 5000 chips to start would have been perfect, with 15-minute levels, maybe 20. It appears the FTOPS (and its mini counterpart) are quarterly events, so if I haven't got one of them job thingies by March, I may well be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment