Saturday, January 29, 2011

January monthly report

I've got a job interview in Wellington on Tuesday so I can't afford to be badugi-ing, studding or any other kind of pokering until that's over. So I hope that by posting this before month's end I'll resist the temptation to play.

January was quite a trying month so I can't be too disappointed to finish up $343 ahead. That's less than in the two previous months, the main difference being the single draw cash games on Stars where I lost $102. The graph shows my performance in those games since October:

There are various reasons for that red block. First the games have been really tight so it feels as if nobody is making any money and we're all just swapping chips around, losing money to rake whenever we see the draw, with heavy action only happening when two big hands lock horns. I think introducing antes, even small ones, would inject some much-needed life into the games. Secondly maybe my own play has got a bit predictable. Perhaps I need to vary my bet-sizing more, and even try the odd crazy move like a check-raise all in with a straight. When people don't bet nines post-draw that just feels too risky though. Thirdly (and this is related to my first point) I'm putting money into pots thinking I'm ahead when I'm actually behind. And finally I think I've simply had a bit of bad luck.

I've done well at badugi this month although I think I've run above average in $1/$2 and $2/$4. I've only played very short sessions, particularly at $2/$4. There I've made the mistake of focusing too much on how much I'm up or down for the session, and either not wanting to give back my profits when I'm ahead or not wanting to lose any more when I'm behind. I guess I'm just not accustomed to $50 swings in ten minutes; I imagine I'll get used to it over time.

So it's onwards and upwards. I'm looking forward to visiting Wellington for the first time in years (I can't say I'm looking forward particularly to the interview!), then I'll be back at the poker tables with a vengeance. There will be no time to waste - February is a short month!

No comments:

Post a Comment